Applications for Summer 2022 are now open. Deadline is May 1, 2022 (11:59PM)
Transforming Futures: Summer Internship Scholarship Program
The Institute for Social Transformation is launching a pilot internship scholarship program for Summer 2022 called Transforming Futures. The goal of the program is to open up opportunities and remove financial barriers for first-generation, underrepresented, and low-income college students at UC Santa Cruz so they can participate in career-advancing summer internships. We know that internships provide an important experiential learning opportunity for students to gain professional experience, build professional networks, create future career pathways, and are an important component of student success. Unfortunately, a number of meaningful internships are unpaid, particularly at nonprofit or government organizations, and therefore are not an option for many students with limited financial resources. In order to expand opportunities for these students, our program will provide summer internship scholarships.
Transforming Futures scholarship awards will be up to $6,000 for summer interns. Award amounts will differ based on financial need and the level of students’ expected summer living expenses. Internships should be with off-campus employers, primarily those who are not able to provide fully paid internships, such as nonprofit organizations, government entities, small businesses or start-ups. The location can be anywhere in the world.
Our program provides scholarships once students have arranged an internship possibility. Students should work with existing internship and field study programs at UC Santa Cruz to identify internship opportunities. This pilot program will be administered by the Institute for Social Transformation in the Division of Social Sciences and we are partnering with UCSC Career Success and Educational Opportunity Program (EOP). Initially the scholarships will be limited to UC Santa Cruz undergraduate students in the Social Sciences, however we hope to expand the program even further.
Applications for Summer 2022 are now open. Deadline is May 1, 2022 (11:59PM)
Prepare Early and Find Campus Mentors
Please start early and give yourself plenty of time to apply. Priority will be given to students who meet the eligibility criteria (see below) and have done some advance preparation before submitting an application, including:
- meet with a UCSC Career Coach to explore internship and career options, prep for interviews, get resume feedback, etc.
- meet with an EOP counselor to develop a plan for student success and work out a summer budget
- meet with an internship coordinator in your department, major, or field of interest, if available
- identify a faculty mentor who will provide guidance throughout the internship
- arrange a potential full-time summer internship
Find an Internship
Our program provides scholarships once students have arranged an internship possibility. We strongly recommend that students reach out to campus partners listed below for help finding an internship.
The application will require that students have arranged a potential internship. Before applying, students should contact organizations they would like to intern for and have the potential internship supervisor submit this internship agreement form indicating their support for having the student as a full-time intern for 10 weeks in summer 2022, if the scholarship application is successful.
Submit your Application
Please note: you should have all your materials ready before you start the application. For assistance writing a resume, take advantage of the Career Center resources. For assistance with your summer budget, please work with an EOP counselor.
The application consists of:
UC Santa Cruz & Division of Social Sciences Internship Resources
- Campus partners:
- Social Sciences department internship and field study programs:
- Anthropology Internships and Field Studies
- Community Studies Field Study Program
- Economics Field Study Program
- Education Department: Opportunities/Internships
- Environmental Studies Internship Program
- Latin American and Latino Studies
- Legal Studies Internships
- Politics Department Internships and Field Study
- Psychology Field Study Program
- Sociology Internships and Volunteer Opportunities
- Other potential resources:
- Blum Center Community-based Internships
- Everett Program
- Center for Labor Studies
- Research Center for the Americas
- Right Livelihood College Internships
- (H)ACER Apprenticeship in Community-Engaged Research Program
- GANAS Career Pathways Internship Program
- UC Center Sacramento (UCCS)
- UCSC Global Internships
Eligibility/Who Can Apply
- Student eligibility
- Applicants must be UC Santa Cruz undergraduate students majoring in a social science discipline or program and must be in good academic standing. Summer enrollment is not required.
- Priority will be given to students who have EOP status (i.e first-generation, low income, under-represented/BIPOC, undocumented, former foster youth).
- Priority will be given to students who are rising sophomores, juniors and seniors (i.e. returning to UCSC for the academic year following their summer internship). Graduating seniors are eligible if they are on the job market (i.e. not planning on attending graduate school in the fall) and are willing to participate in a fall workshop reflecting on their internship experience.
- Students must commit to a full-time summer internship (10 weeks in length at least 35-40 hours/week).
- Internship site eligibility
- Internship sites must be able to demonstrate the capacity to provide a quality learning and career-advancing experience that is well-supervised, safe, stable, and enriching for the student for 10 weeks in the summer. This would be provided in the internship agreement form.
- Internships should primarily be with employers who are not able to provide fully paid internships, such as non-profit organizations, government entities, small businesses or start-ups.
- Internships should be off-campus. The location can be anywhere in the world, however international travel is not allowed to countries on the U.S. State Department Travel Advisory Level of 3 or 4. Any students traveling internationally or out of state must register in advance for UC travel insurance.
- Student responsibilities
- Confirmation of a potential internship must be obtained before applying for the scholarship. Students must have arranged a potential internship, and have the internship supervisor submit this form indicating their support for having the student as an intern, if the scholarship application is successful.
- Priority will be given to students who have established relationships with mentors on campus including UCSC Career Coaches, Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Advisors, department internship coordinators, and/or faculty mentors.
- The student application will require students to articulate how the proposed internship experience will enhance their career and professional growth. Students will also need to upload a resume and a summer budget.
- If awarded, students must participate in a pre-internship workshop to help prepare them for their experience, such as building basic skills for workplace success, and in a post-internship meeting presenting their reflections on the internship experience.
- Students are expected to provide a short report on their experience at the end of the internship. Guidelines will be provided for this report.
Summer internship scholarship awards will be up to $6,000 maximum, depending on financial need. A summer budget and requested scholarship amount should be uploaded with the application – use this budget template.
In the pilot year, we anticipate being able to award 6-10 scholarships. Student applications will be reviewed by a committee of UCSC staff and faculty.
Scholarship awards will be processed by the Institute for Social Transformation and disbursed as a direct payment to the student in summer.
Timeline for 2022
Student application deadline: May 1, 2022
Organization internship agreement form deadline: May 8, 2022
Award notifications: mid May 2022
Required student pre-internship workshop: end of May/early June
Summer internships: June/July through August/September (10 weeks)
Required student post-internship workshop: early Fall 2022
Please contact the Institute for Social Transformation with any questions at email@example.com.